MULTIMEDIA

The Italian excellence in technological laser system

MULTIMEDIA
FILTER BY

Quanta’s Thunder Art on the ‘’Roof Of The World’’

The Patan Royal Palace Complex was constructed in the 17th century as part of the extensive building program of King Siddhinarasimha Malla, which was continued by his son Srinivasa. The Malla kings created their palace by enlarging and enhancing a group of buildings at an ancient crossro- ads in the center of Patan.

 The complex contains three courtyards, built at dif- ferent times and each with its own character: Sudari Chowk (1647), Mul Chowk (1666), and Keshav Narayan Chowk (1734). The earliest of the three, Sundari Chowk is known for its spectacularly carved stone bath and wood ornamentation of animals and deities. 

The southern and northern wings were added in 1792 and 1820 respectively, demonstrating European influence with regular windows, shutters, a fireplace, and a grand reception hall on the upper level. The three pagoda temples and many shrines of Patan Royal Palace are still active today, including Degutale, a principal Tantric place of worship.

Despite its continued use, the Patan Royal Palace was placed on the UNESCO World Heritage in Danger List in 2003 because of structural decay and the threat of urban development.